Basic Lands are lands that may be tapped to produce mana of one color in Magic.
There are 5 types of Basic Lands; one for each color of Mana.
- A Plains produces White mana.
- An Island produces Blue mana.
- A Swamp produces Black mana.
- A Mountain produces Red mana.
- A Forest produces Green mana.
- 205.4c Any land with the supertype “basic” is a basic land. Any land that doesn’t have this supertype is a nonbasic land, even if it has a basic land type.
- Cards printed in sets prior to the Eighth Edition core set didn’t use the word “basic” to indicate a basic land. Cards from those sets with the following names are basic lands and have received errata in the Oracle card reference accordingly: Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains, Swamp, Snow-Covered Forest, Snow-Covered Island, Snow-Covered Mountain, Snow-Covered Plains, and Snow-Covered Swamp.
- 305.6. The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest. If an object uses the words “basic land type,” it’s referring to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has the intrinsic ability “: Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool,” even if the text box doesn’t actually contain that text or the object has no text box. For Plains, [mana symbol] is ; for Islands, ; for Swamps, ; for Mountains, ; and for Forests, . See rule 107.4a. See also rule 605, “Mana Abilities.”
|Supertypes||Basic • Legendary • Snow • World|
|Artifact||Clue • Contraption • Equipment • Fortification|
|Enchantment||Aura • Curse • Shrine|
|Land|| Plains • Island • Swamp • Mountain • Forest • Desert |
Gate • Lair • Locus • Mine • Power-Plant • Tower • Urza’s
|Instant / Sorcery||Arcane • Trap|
|Other Card Types|
|Multiple Types|| Artifact Land • Artifact Creature • Enchantment Artifact |
Enchantment Creature • Land Creature
|Other|| Conspiracy • Phenomenon • Plane |
Scheme (Ongoing) • Tribal • Vanguard
|Obsolete|| Continuous • Elite • Hero • Interrupt |
Mana Source • Mono • Poly • Summon