Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
It is the act of putting a land into the battlefield or to cast a card as a spell.
- 701.11a To play a land means to put it onto the battlefield from the zone it’s in (usually the hand). A player may play a land if he or she has priority, it’s the main phase of his or her turn, the stack is empty, and he or she hasn’t played a land this turn. Playing a land is a special action (see rule 115), so it doesn’t use the stack; it simply happens. Putting a land onto the battlefield as the result of a spell or ability isn’t the same as playing a land. See rule 305, “Lands.”
- 701.11b To play a card means to play that card as a land or to cast that card as a spell, whichever is appropriate.
- 701.11c Some effects instruct a player to “play” with a certain aspect of the game changed, such as “Play with the top card of your library revealed.” “Play” in this sense means to play the Magic game.
- 701.11d Previously, the action of casting a spell, or casting a card as a spell, was referred to on cards as “playing” that spell or that card. Cards that were printed with that text have received errata in the Oracle card reference so they now refer to “casting” that spell or that card.
- 701.11e Previously, the action of using an activated ability was referred to on cards as “playing” that ability. Cards that were printed with that text have received errata in the Oracle card reference so they now refer to “activating” that ability.
|Evergreen|| Activate • Attach • Cast • Counter • Destroy • Discard |
Exchange • Exile • Fight • Play • Regenerate • Reveal
Sacrifice • Scry • Search • Shuffle • Tap • Untap
|Other|| Abandon • Bolster • Clash • Detain • Fateseal • Investigate |
Manifest • Monstrosity • Planeswalk • Populate • Proliferate
Set in Motion • Support • Transform • Vote